The Doctoral Program of the Dr. med. dent. is open to all examined dentists or natural scientist (at least Master Degree). It encompasses an own research under supervision of an Professor. The research must be performed by yourself and written as a thesis. An oral examination in Dental Medicine as well as a doctoral viva is mandatory to be inaugurated as a Dr. med. dent. Commonly this takes two to four years full-time.
Participating in at least clinical or laboratory research project is mandatory
=> clinical projects will be defined by Prof. Dr. H. Weber
Working on patients (if necessary) does need additional federal requirements!
=> laboratory projects will be defined by Prof. Dr. rer. nat. J. Geis-Gerstorfer
(Head of the Section of Medical Materials and Technology)
- Finished academic education in dentistry and/or in a field of natural science (of e.g.: physics;chemistry; biology; etc.)
- Two verbal examinations in fields/disciplines of the German dental exam; the disciplines are determined by the Medical Faculty; they have to be passed after the written doctoral thesis has been submitted and evaluated by two referees/reviewers (members of the Medical Faculty)
- Equivalence of your academic exam with the according German one. Therefor, you need certified copies of your original documents of our final exam (and of any other academic degree – if available) as well as certified translations of these in German or English. A federal institution will evaluate your exam and give recommendations with regard to potentially lacking/missing tests. Based on this recommendation, the Medical Faculty will decide whether and – if so – which additional tests (i.e. verbal examinations) have to be passed by you for achieving the German equivalence of your exam.
- Extended visa according to the federal regulations (can be applied far from Tuebingen)
- All documents being necessary and listed for the guest scientist coming from the EU are needed for this status as well (see prerequisites)
- Please provide a proof or confirmation of your financial support/grant
- Depending on the topic – type of your thesis – a working permit for working on patients the necessary documents for this potential permit are listed under prerequisites, too.